CPD Conferences and Seminars:
These are conducted as per the Uniform CPD Rules
BASIL Conducts CPD Conferences – drawing on professionals from both inside and outside the organization including specialists and barristers willing to share their knowledge.
These conferences are organized at a fraction of the cost of commercial seminars in the market and are normally conducted over 1 or 2 days (including weekends so practitioners do not miss days in the office) or even as half day seminars in convenient City and Regional locations.
Conference topics are drawn from the new Legal Profession Uniform Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Rules 2015. (1 to 16)
These rules commenced on July 1st 2015. (10 CPD points per year with each point representing 1 hour of legal education)
Rule 6. CPD Obligations
- 1.1 ethics and professional responsibility
- 1.2 practice management and business skills
- 1.3 professional skills
- 1.4 substantive law
Rule 7. CPD Content
- 1.1 significant intellectual or practical content
- 1.2 conducted by persons who are qualified by practical or academic experience in the subject covered
- 1.3 that extends the solicitor’s knowledge and skills in areas that are relevant to the solicitor’s needs or professional development
Rule 13 Annual Certification of CPD Actitvities
- 13.1 At the same time as applying for renewal of his or her practicing certificate, a solicitor must certify to the designated local regulatory authority whether the solicitor has complied with these Rules in respect of the CPD year last ended.
Many conferences and seminars have been held over the past 15 years in the City and in Regional areas. Conference locations include Orange, Leura, Parramatta, Maitland. Kirribilli, Mudgee and Newcastle with recent afternoon half – day seminars in the Sydney CBD and now with Melbourne.